Last week, Thursday May 4th, Astral Media Outdoor held their first ever 'My Toronto' design competition for billboard space around the city for the month of May. The winner, entitled 'Metropolitan Flavour' - as an aside Metropolitan
is the name of an existing ice cream sold in Toronto - belonged to a team of three OCAD students. The ad included an ice cream cone with a multitude of brightly coloured scoops and a label which resembled the city of Toronto logo. The tag line in pink to the lower right-hand side, metropolitan flavour
, is clever but unfortunately not readible from a distance. While the ice cream imagery is eye-catching and a good choice when dealing with subject matter representing people/cultures, it is the only element that is seen when driving by. The accompanying text, is too small and fine for the function of a billboard. I however, may have been driving try too fast. See them for yourself on the following billboards across the GTA (from East to West):
- 213 Main St. (North of Gerrard St. E.)
- Lakeshore Blvd. E. (West of Carlaw Ave.)
- Sunlight Park Rd. (West of Broadview Ave.)
- 190 Lakeshore Blvd. E. (West of Sherbourne St.)
- 59 Richmond St. E. (West of Church St.)
- Duncan St. & Nelson St.
- 1071 Yonge St. (East of Rowanwood Ave.)
- 523 Adelaide St. W. (East of Bathurst St.)
- 204 Spadina Ave. (South of Sullivan St.)
- 3055 Bathurst St. (Bathurst St. & Lawrence Ave. W.)
- 1093 Queen Street W. (East of Lisgar St.)
- Gardiner Expressway (East of Atlantic Ave.)
- 1176 Bloor St. W. (East of Brock Rd.)
- Shaw St. & Dupont St.
- 361 Symington Ave. (South of Adrian Ave.)
- 30 Weston Rd. (South of Gunns Rd.)
- St. Clair Ave. W. & Weston Rd.
- 2150 Albion Road (South of Steeles Ave. W.)
- 777 Kipling Ave. (South of Norseman St.)
- Clark Blvd. & West Dr.